Thursday, February 26, 2009

Back To Africa ...


I leave in an hour for the airport.

My flights cover two nights and two days.

First, I fly from San Francisco to London. Then, after a four or five hour delay, I fly from London to Johannesburg, South Africa. After a morning in this fine airport, I fly from Johannesburg on to Blantyre, Malawi.

Great fun.

If all goes well, I will be in Blantyre, the hub of Project Peanut Butter's work, at about noon on Saturday.

The heat of southern Africa will greet me.

The "wonder" and sense of discovery associated with travel in a far away land and my continued hope for this documentary project will continue.

I am grateful to take additional steps.

During my first three week trip, I produced roughly thirty hours of footage (about a thousand High Definition video "clips") and hundreds of still images.

I spent a major portion of my time in San Francisco through the last three weeks reviewing, organizing, and editing this colorful material.

There is much to be encouraged with. I found many little gems and "touching moments" from the medical nutrition project and daily life in the central and southern region of Malawi.

On this next trip, I will follow up with twenty two children and their mothers (or alternative caretaker), who were interviewed during my first trip to Malawi.

I am working to document the transformational change in the children's health through RUTF treatment. 

If all goes well, I plan to spend several days living within a rural village and visiting the homes of clients that Project Peanut Butter serves.  These experiences will bring me closer to "the face of hunger" and the power of this therapeutic approach to heal malnutrition.

My days will be full. During some evenings, I may have the chance to update this blog. If so, I will offer updates from my journey.

Thanks for joining this expedition, steps into a world that teaches and challenges me in wonderful and difficult ways.

All my best wishes to each of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment