Saturday, January 31, 2009

Curiosity, Mud Balls, And The Power Of Play ...





My new friend in the top image is working hard to re-design Malawi's health certificates - a simple task filled with discovery.  Yes.  Those forms are confusing.    

My buddy in the bottom image is finding joy in an evolving match of mud ball.  

There seems to be an international rule.

Kids find a way to transcend challenges each day.

I know the sound of hundreds of hungry children crying will remain with me for some time.

The sound of African children laughing and playing will linger as well

When I see a child rolling an old, rusty bicycle wheel simply for the pleasure of watching the hoop bounce through the countryside, or a young Malawian boy smiling as he samples fresh, hot, roasted corn that has been cooked over a dented, steel car rim filled with burning wood, or a group of kids kicking a tattered, dirt colored ball toward a wooden post that serves as a goal on a field that is converted in their hearts to a great soccer stadium, I think of the power we all hold in our minds.   

I am reminded of the old adage: "One man's junk is another man's treasure."  

This seems to apply both to physical goods and emotional experiences.    

I think about the perspective and expectation we bring to our day.

It is easy to get lost in our reach for what we don't have.  

If we allow it, kids with little to no material wealth, yet a joyful, open spirit shake our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment