Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Joy Is Where We Find It ...


Yesterday, just before we started work at the clinic, it rained lightly.  Our second vehicle with equipment, the primary doctor, nurses, and other staff was still in transit.  A large crowd of women gathered under a large tree near the open space we work in.

I left my video equipment in the truck and took the opportunity to wander for a few moments near Chikadza Village.  

A charismatic young boy, Marizan (ten years old), and his younger sister, Namiziya (eight years old), offered a warm welcome.   Their father has a small plot of corn nearby.  The survive on little.  Yet, they seem "present" and filled with hope. 

In just a few moments, we shared laughter and a sense of shared discovery.  

I couldn't help but feel their strong bond of closeness.  

I admired their sense of play.  

They stayed near my side for several hours observing the flow of the clinic and my efforts at documentary work.  

I remember their captivating smiles and the bright light in their eyes.  There is magic in our lives if we can hold this sense of "wonder."   

2 comments:

  1. Liz,

    Their spirit caught my attention immediately.

    Powerful.

    Hope all is well for you and your wonderful family.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete