Sunday, January 11, 2009

In Search Of ...


The closet searching, duffel bag stuffing, documenting, list reviewing, equipment testing, packing, and padding continues.  

Much to do before "lift off" with this documentary project on RUTFs and Project Peanut Butter.

In three days, I depart for New York City where I will spend a day with several friends and my rambunctious, wonderful one-year-old Godson.  

The next afternoon, I fly on to Johannesburg, South Africa where I stay one night.  From there, I travel on a short flight to Blantyre, the second largest city in Malawi.  If all goes well, travel in Southern and Central portions of the country begin the next day.  

Even with strict packing guidelines, I anticipate the need for a strong "ooompa looompa" to help carry my bags to the airport.   

It's frightening to look at the expanding pile of batteries, chargers, cables, and other gear that is needed to keep my bigger pile of equipment working.   

A comedy can be written about this part of the journey.  

Yes.  It's true.  I have just a marginal idea how to use most of this "stuff."

I tell myself to have faith, let this process unfold, smile often, and be prepared to laugh with my many stumbles.  I know I will have moments of uncertainty and humor.  This is learning "real time."  

I do wonder ... 

Can I stop the action all around me and ask for a "lifeline" (call a friend) if I get into difficulty while attempting to produce footage?  

Where do I sign up for a free set of "do overs"?  

What exactly are the words for "please don't panic" in Malawi-ese?

The next three weeks will be an adventure - new steps into the unknown.  



2 comments:

  1. Bula Rafiki ( hello friend)...safe journey and magical adventures to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HoffMan,

    Go safely and with that signature smile of yours.

    Hawksters

    ReplyDelete